01 July, 2014

Triumphant Return of The Ranting!

Hello, my small readership. I know it's been quite some time since I last ranted, but I have not forgotten about you all.

It's been a crazy year for me so far. I have a great new job that I love very much, and am in the process of finding myself a new place for the 3rd time this year. However, this isn't why you're here. You're here to read a venomous diatribe about something we all hate about something, so I will gladly oblige.

Homelessness, we all have to face it at some point in our lives. Whether it directly affects your ability to sleep in a nice bed every night, or someone you cross paths with, it reaches into everyone's life some way or other. It's a shifty part of living in any city, and is hard to feel good about it. I have had to stare the prospect of it down a couple of times this year, and have been fortunate enough to find someone gracious enough to give me a hand up each time.

However, it's a problem that is not properly addressed in many places at all. Sure, the US has a few programs to provide (very little) assistance to the unfortunate people who can't afford the astronomical rents in many cities, but there aren't enough benefits given to those seeking relief to actually get them out of the rut they are in and on the road to success. I know, having needed the help myself only to be rejected and left to fend for myself.

There's also this strange issue of housing also. In many cities there are more residences than people to occupy them, yet people are forced to live on the street if they can't find the exorbitant amount of money required to move in. The houses and apartments will literally sit empty while people who need them sleep in alleyways and parks.

Many of these people are trying to better themselves, only to be skipped over for jobs and dismissed by landlords because they don't have a stable income or the ability to maintain a hygienic appearance due to the lack of resources to do as such. This is bullshit, and not enough is done to rectify this growing problem.

To make matters worse, there aren't enough people in positions to make the changes necessary to really help the unfortunate victims of homelessness. I concede that a percentage of the homeless have chosen this lifestyle, but I feel that the majority are victims of circumstance trying their best to make a better life for themselves in the only way that is available to them. It's no way to live, and the people who have the ability to bring all humanity up choose instead to be selfish while their species suffers the folly of their greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment